Saturday, December 27, 2008

Bagging it All In

Japanese Kitty padded tote b (salmon)

One of the fun things about designing bags is making them in a wide variety of materials. I adore the Japanese fabrics that are out - the cute little characters and tiny whimsical animals are so funky and different from what fabric stores in the US carry! Since I travel so much for work, I also duck in to a lot of fabric stores. Even with the major chains, the fabric they carry can vary from city to city.

I also have a good time with vintage fabrics. Using something very few, if any, people have access to can truly make a bag one of a kind.

This tote style is currently what I carry for everyday. I can stuff it with receipts during my business travel, carry a magazine or book, wallet, and even my knitting. My keys no longer sink to the bottom, since I added the key fob on the outside.

Women and their bags are an interesting study. Some days I think I will never make another one, since I can't seem to get the pockets right, or strap length, or the fabric choice correct for any customer. But then a young girl will come along, grab up a pirate bag, or Elvis, or the Three Stooges, or a hawt firefighter bag, squeal that "it's PERFECT!" and I'm back in the game again.

I see the creativity I enjoy using in creating the bags within many of my artist friends. I'll be talking more about them in the coming days. Meanwhile, I better get moving on the more mundane tasks in life - there is new fabric on my cutting table that's been calling my name!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love those Japanese fabrics too funky! They are all so cute - how is a girl supposed to choose?!

A Blond And A Torch said...

Your bags rock the Casbah!

MartyMcI said...

Very nice blog. :)

Maureen B said...

I love this bag! Very girly, but practical too0-

Elizabeth said...

Thank you everyone!

Anonymous said...

I can hear that new fabric calling your name!